These Keto Tortillas Are Perfect For Meals And Snacks
image sourced from the video
This great low carb tortillas recipe came from the Keto Connect site. There are just two main ingredients – coconut flour and egg whites. That's what makes this recipe so simple to make. Another thing is if you want big tortillas use a big pan and if you want small tortillas just use a small pan. These tortillas are pretty thin, so if you want something thicker you can always double them up and get a bigger mouthful with each bit.
You could substitute other flours in the recipe, but coconut flour has several advantages. Coconut flour is quite absorbent so you need less of it to make the batter. It also has the right texture for tortillas and it gives off little flavor to the mix.
How To Make These Keto Low Carb Tortillas
There is a trick to making tortillas and that is to get the batter as thin as possible, a lot thinner than pancake batter. The first step is to combine the two main ingredients and mix them really well. Then mix the spices in. The second trick is in how you handle your frying pan. Heat the pan up using medium heat then put some batter ti the center of the pan then tip the pan it different directions till the batter covers the whole bottom of the pan. If you are short of batter you can add a little more to the pan. When the first side starts to brown, flip it over and brown the other side and you are done.
Nutrition (per 4 tortillas)
Fat: 1.5 g
Protein: 8.5 g
Carbs: 6 g
Fiber: 3.25 g
Net Carbs: 2.75 g
- Add egg whites, coconut flour, baking powder and water in a bowl. Combine well (should be a uniform, watery mixture).
- Optional: add seasonings and mix.
- Heat a skillet (any size you want your tortillas to be) to low heat. Wait until the pan is hot, spray with cooking spray, and drop some of the mixture into the center (i like to use a 1/4 measuring cup).
- As quickly as possible tilt the skillet on all edge to spread the batter as thin as possible. You can always add more in the areas not covered.
- Allow it to cook for a couple minutes until it starts to rise/bubble or you lift it up and the other side has browned. Flip and cook for 1 additional minute.
- Repeat process until all the batter is cooked. The above mixture made 16 small taco sized tortillas for us.
- TIP: If your first tortilla doesn't spread thin enough on the skillet (comes out more like a pancake) add more water to the egg white mixture and mix!
For suggestions on filler recipes and more good pictures go to the source article.
Looking for the best keto bread recipe?