Multipurpose, Low Carb and Keto Friendly
If you learn how to make one low carb dough , this is it, because it is so versatile. You can use it for pizza, calzones, garlic knots, bagels and even cinnamon rolls.
This is a flatbread dough that Carolyn gives Tom Naughton credit for the starting idea. I've come across many variations on this recipe. It seems like every blogger has their own customized version. I think this recipe by Carolyn is one of the best. Her recipe is a little sturdier than the original. She uses butter instead of cream cheese, some coconut flour and a little baking powder. That gets the dough to rise up a little bit and you get that buttery rich flavor.
Check her blog for all the other uses of this dough (the link is at the end of this article).
See how see does it.
- 6 ounces pre-shredded part skim mozzarella
- 5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup blanched almond flour
- 1/4 cup coconut flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 large egg
- Sprinkle a clean counter or a large silicone baking mat with almond flour.
- In a large saucepan, melt the cheese and butter together over low heat until they are melted and can be stirred together.
- Remove from heat and add the almond flour, coconut flour, baking powder, garlic powder, and salt. Add the egg and stir everything together until a cohesive forms. Use a rubber spatula to really knead the dough together in the pan. It may still contain some streaks of cheese.
- Turn the dough out onto the prepared work surface and knead until uniform. This will only take a little kneading. If your dough is still very sticky, add a tablespoon or two more almond flour and work it in.
Bake 15 to 20 minutes at 350°F
Featured image was captured from the video.
For more on this recipe, the notes and what else you can make from this dough check out the source article.
Leave a Reply