Tried And True Low Carb Bread Recipe
Only 1 g of carb per slice and it's easy to make. They call this soul bread because it is so good.
Soul Bread uses whey protein as the low carb flour substitute. But be aware that not all whey protein powders produce a good result. These two brands have proven to work well. These brands are Nature’s Best ISOPURE Whey Protein and Hoosier Hill Farm Whey Protein Powder. If you know of another brand that works with this recipe, let us know in the comments below.
Once cooked the top crust should be nice and crunchy.
Most of the breads you buy have some sugar added for better tast. In this recipe it is optional to add some sweetener such as Stevia or liquid sucralose.
Low Carb Soul Bread
Prep Time 10 minutesCook Time 45 minutesTotal Time 55 minutes
Servings16slicesCalories 200 kcal
- 12 ounces cream cheese softened
- 1/4 cup butter
- 4 eggs
- 2 drops Sweetleaf stevia drops optional, or liquid sucralose
- 1/4 c heavy whipping cream or half and half
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 2/3 c unflavored whey protein ** (preferably zero carb)
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 2 1/2 tsps baking powder
- 1/4 tsp cream of tartar
- Preheat oven to 325 F. Prepare a bread pan (9″ x 5″) or molds.
- Put cream cheese and butter in large microwave safe dish . Microwave for 1 minute.
- Take out and blend well with stick blender (or hand mixer)
- Add eggs, few drops of sweetener, heavy cream, and olive oil and blend real well.
- Blend all dry ingredients in separate bowl.
- Add dry ingredients to cream cheese mixture and stir well with spoon or spatula. Don't use mixer or hand blender for this step because it will whip it too much.
- Pour into a greased pan or silicone mold and bake at 325 F for 45 minutes, or until golden brown. The bread may be dry on top but adding melted butter helps if you’re eating it right away. Once cool, wrap in plastic to store.
Feature image source.
Great article on how to make this bread.
Great article on a lot of variations of this bread.
Leave a Reply